Sunday 9 December 2012

Brooches

I've been wondering for a while what to do with the material that my grandparents left to me. It's been sitting in the corner of the room, nicely packaged up in the plastic bags that you can suck all the air out of so it seems smaller. Of course, once you open the bags the air comes rushing back in but luckily, we left a small bit of material out. Before she died, my granny was making a suit. She was a very clever woman and could just cut out the pieces by eye but she left behind a pattern for this one. I didn't want to cut into the partly finished suit as it's still a memory but she had left behind some off cuts. When I was at school on Friday, the textiles teacher was wearing a badge and I thought to myself, I can make that. And I have. Here are the finished badges with granny's material as the back fabric. The buttons are from my box of heirloom buttons left by both sets of grandparents so all in all, these brooches are full of memories.

Front

Back
And here are all the different colour combinations I made.


I plan to wear one to the Chanukah celebrations this evening and give one as a birthday present.

Today's marking has been done, brooches crafted and flapjack made. Now I just need to make a macaroni cheese for the synagogue Chanukah celebrations this evening and tidy up the kitchen (again). I hope you're all having a restful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment