Sunday 16 June 2013

Day out in London

I had a lovely day yesterday although the weather wasn't great. I spent the morning at The Autism Show, gaining knowledge and resources for my new role and then I had a bit of time to wander around central London. I didn't spend very much but I just like to walk around London, finding new places and revisiting old favourites.





I had a really tasty lunch in Borough Market. Although I had to shelter from the rain and protect my lunch from getting too soggy, it was delicious. There is a stand near to Southwark Cathedral that sells filled rolls and I had the veggie special, filled to the brim with cooked halloumi, salad and dressings - scrumptious. I then wandered off to have a look at the fabric shops in Berwick Street, Soho. On the w
ay, I came across the Shard. I didn't realise I was so close until I looked up and there it was. Don't you just love the juxtaposition of old and new in this photo.


Fast forward half an hour and I checked out the Royal Academy of Art on Piccadily

via the Jubilee line


walked down Savile Row checking out all the made to measure shops. There were some gorgeous suits and shirts on display.


I ended up on Berwick Street and checked out the fabric shops. The fabric was expensive but it was nice to have a wander around. There were some lovely displays







Don't you just love the haberdashery on display. Shame that the prices were completely out of my league. I then wandered over to Trafalgar Square and as it was still raining I decided to pop into the National Gallery. Whenever I'm up in London with the family, no-one wants to visit the gallery with me so I decided to take some me time.


It was really busy but I still managed to see a Monet and Canaletto (even when you look closely at his paintings, you can pick out the features on the tiny characters - impressive). By this time, I was exhausted so I decided to take a bus back to the train station. It passed the South Bank and I saw these sculptures on the way by the Hayward Gallery - can you tell I was taking the photo through a rain splattered window?






London may have been busy but it makes my heart soar every time I cross the river and see Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament looking one way and St Paul's Cathedral and the buildings of the city looking the other. Can you tell I'm a London girl at heart.




I hope you're all having a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment